[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia's scope

Magnus Manske Magnus.Manske at epost.de
Thu Sep 13 12:20:26 UTC 2001

Having "stable" versions of articles requires the ability to "lock" pages,
which requires new or adapted software. If the wiki software is changed
anyway, I'd suggest a "namespace" mechanism. I already mentioned that
somewhere, I just forgot where;). So, here again, my proposal:

- Enable article names that have a namespace at the beginning, separated by
a ':'
- A blank namespace, like ':HomePage', leads to the "normal", current
wikipedia
- If no namespace is given ('HomePage'), the link is within the current
namespace. So, once you view an article with a namespace, it will link to
destinations within that namespace unless stated otherwise.
- The current namespace is displayed at the top of the page.
- Other namespaces that have an article with the same name are displayed as
links to these articles.

That would enable the following scenario:
- Article "xyz" is developed as usual
- Some authorized person decides that this article is great, and cpoies it
to "stable:xyz"
- The article "xyz" can be developed further as usual
- The article "stable:xyz" is for view only, unless you have special
authorization, and can be linked to or cited
- Links in "stable:xyz" would, without changes, automatically go to other
"stable:" articles, while the same article in the ":" namespace would link
to normal wikipedia articles
- A link within the "stable:" namespace that leads to a blank page could
automatically lead to the normal wikipedia, or display a page "no stable
version, see the normal one", or something similar.

There could also be a "talk" namespace, for example, to get rid of these
ugly "/Talk" pages ;)
Or a "data" namespace, to store, say, famous texts that are in the PD now.

I don't see a problem implementing such a mechanism, and it won't hinder
wikipedians in any way, it just adds an option.

Magnus