[Wikipedia-l] template & locking pages

lsanger at nupedia.com lsanger at nupedia.com
Wed Oct 31 17:10:17 UTC 2001

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, wojtek pobratyn wrote:

> I noticed today (Oct. 31 that is) that someone has added "You can edit
> this page right now!" to wikipedia's template. This is fine, however,
> the HomePage is locked for editing and IMHO it might mislead new
> visitors.

That would have been Jimbo.  We thought it would be a good idea.  I also
think we should specify on each page the name "Wikipedia" and the fact
that it's an encyclopedia.  We might do this on a new logo.

Jimbo, would there be a way to prevent that statement from appearing on
the homepage?  That would solve the falseness problem.  :-)

> I don't really agree with locking pages, but that is another issue....

I don't like it either, but I don't know how else, short of hacking
together a system like Jimbo has proposed, we can dissuade fartboy from
doing his thing.

Larry