[Wikipedia-l] GFDL: Required copyright and license notice?

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Sat Oct 27 04:10:36 UTC 2001

The GFDL states:

To use this License in a document you have written, include a copy of
the
License in the document and put the following copyright and license
notices just after the title page:

  Copyright (C)  year  your name.
  Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
  under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
  or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;
  with the Invariant Sections being list their titles, with the
  Front-Cover Texts being list, and with the Back-Cover Texts being list.
  A copy of the license is included in the section entitled ``GNU
  Free Documentation License''.

----
The copyright and license notices are nowhere included on Wikipedia. Thus,
Wikipedia is not formally covered by the GFDL.

Is this an incorrect interpretation?

I haven't seen any counter-arguments.

Right now we're kind of in that "if you call a tail a leg, how many
legs does a horse have?" stage.

Do we have a timeline for including the necessary copyright and license
notice?

Should we workshop it?

  Copyright (C) 2001 Free Software Foundation.
  Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
  under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
  or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;
  with no Invariant Sections, with no Front-Cover Texts, and with
  no Back-Cover Texts.
  A copy of the license is included in the section entitled ``GNU
  Free Documentation License''.

Another possibility:

  Copyright (C) 2001 Free Software Foundation.
  Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document
  under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.1
  or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation;
  with the Invariant Sections being link.html, with no Front-Cover Texts,
  and with no Back-Cover Texts.
  A copy of the license is included in the section entitled ``GNU
  Free Documentation License''.

link.html:

Some possibilities for the related necessary pieces for coverage under the
GFDL:

Acknowledgments:
   Wikipedia is only possible through the collaborative effort of the
   world community.
Title Page:
    Welcome to Wikipedia, a collaborative project to produce a complete
    encyclopedia from scratch. We started in January 2001 and already
    have over 15,000 articles. We want to make over 100,000, so let's
get
    to work--anyone can edit any page--copyedit, expand an article,
write
    a little, write a lot. See the Wikipedia FAQ for information on how
    edit pages  and other questions.

    The content of Wikipedia is covered by the GNU Free Documentation
License,
    which means that it is free and will remain so forever. See open
    content and [free content]? for background.
History:
    http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Wikipedia_Announcements
Endorsements:
    http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Friends_of_Wikipedia

I'm also posting this to http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/GNU_Free_Documentation_License/Talk

Note that this is another thing Project Sourceberg could serve as, a way
for us to collectively deal with Invariant Sections.

Note that Invariant Sections are only Invariant for people outside of
Wikipedia; they don't have to be invariant within Wikipedia.

--
The Cunctator
cunctator at kband.com www.kband.com