[Wikipedia-l] A proposal for the new software

lsanger at nupedia.com lsanger at nupedia.com
Thu Oct 18 22:07:29 UTC 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Michel Clasquin wrote:
> Once instituted, will the software automatically assign cabal status or
> will you and/or Larry do this manually? If automatic, what prevents a
> really persistent vandal from suddenly being blessed with cabal
> membership? If manually, how do we stop even the perception that this is
> really the Jimmy Wales Admiration Society?

I think this should be done automatically.  A persistent vandal blessed
with cabal membership would have a banned IP, complaints to sysops, etc.
As for the perception, the club should be inclusive.  I've you've been
working on Wikipedia for some minimum amount of time, you should be in.
This means that 80% of the people who work on Wikipedia should be in.
There's no reasonable way to construe that as the JWAS.  :-)  Besides,
Jimbo's proposal is to keep the very existence of the old timers' rights
semi-secret.

> Also, does cabal membership expire when you go on holiday for a few weeks?
> If so, how long can the "real world" call you away from the wikiworld
> before your cabalicity (cabalaciousness? cabalicality?) expires?

Why let it expire at all?

> Technically speaking, I work from different machines and different
> browsers, which is why some of my work is attributed to my IP number.
> Would cabal status be recognised in any of these?

Magnus' code lets you log in with a username and password.

Larry