[Wikipedia-l] A proposal for the new software

Mark Christensen mchristensen at HTEC.com
Thu Oct 18 19:20:24 UTC 2001

I generally think this is a good idea.  I'm not sure exactly how the system
should work, but I propose something like adding 1 Karma Point (KP) for
signing up with a username, and one more for every day you connect to the
wikipedia after that (with the same username), and 2 KP for each day in
which you've edited an existing article, and 3 Karma points for each day you
add a new article.

Once you get up to 60 KP, you have basic privileges (Editing the home page
and the like).

Once you have  or so 100 KP you can block an IP address, user ID#, or user
alias temporarily (24 hours).

Once you have 200+ KP you can mark an article for deletion.  The article is
not deleted for 24 hours, and is clearly displayed as MARKED FOR DELETION on
the recent changes log if you have at least 150 KP.  Anybody with level 1
privileges can then check a "don't delete this" box on the article, and it
will be unmarked for deletion.

I would recommend that the edit this page link just not appear unless you
have privileges to edit that page.

I don't think that the above is exactly how we should do it, but I wanted to
through out some specifics because the "devil is in the details."  The idea
may be fine, but the implementation could easily bring up real problems...

That said, I think Michel Clasquin brings up several interesting points.

If you want to follow Michel Clasquin's suggestion that we also lock down
the pages linked from the main page, I'd recommend that those pages be
locked only for those with 4 or less KP, which means if you're logged in,
and you created an article you can add a link to it from the appropriate
portal page, since you have 1 KP for signing up, and 3 for adding an
article.  We can use Magnus's "watch this page" functionality to keep track
of these changes.  And if he adds the e-mail update feature, people can just
assign themselves to keeping up on those pages.  I would actually recommend
that there be a field in the data base which assigns the level of
restriction on a page, so an administrator (or potentially anybody with a
high enough KP) adjust the threshold for that page.  This would be useful if
the there were repeated problems with a specific portal page.

As far as who assigns Cabal status, I think it absolutely has to be
automatically assigned (of course the administrators can manually edit the
assignments if they feel the need).  If there are persistent vandals, other
Cabal members can temporarily ban their IP, and/or administrators can
manually bump down their KP.

As far as how to get the thing started, we could automatically generate some
KP numbers for users by mining existing history data (Say you get a KP for
every 5 or 10 page edits you've logged), or we could follow Jimmy Wales's
suggestion that we implement the KP log for long enough for some people to
gain privileges before marking any pages as requiring privileges to edit,
either way should work.

Anyway, more food for thought.

Yours
Mark