Copyright question (was: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] LA2)

lsanger at nupedia.com lsanger at nupedia.com
Tue Oct 16 18:43:54 UTC 2001

Obviously, we don't want to make it seem as if Wikipedia is claiming the
right to call itself *the source* of *whatever* it publishes, so that any
content that happens to appear in Wikipedia cannot appear elsewhere
without being credited to Wikipedia.  In that case, any publishing of
Shakespeare's plays and Lee Crocker's poker articles would have to include
a source notice pointing to Wikipedia!  Surely the GNU FDL doesn't imply
that.  If it does, it needs work.

I don't know how to resolve the situation (I'll leave that to people who
know more about licensing) but I do want to help reassure people that
Wikipedia *is not* trying to arrogate to itself rights over work that it
shouldn't have.  All we want to do is to make sure that Wikipedia articles
do remain free, and that we are credited with articles that (here, I'm
guessing) were created or developed specifically for Wikipedia.

Maybe the best way to approach it is by saying that each person grants
Wikipedia, and people who source material from Wikipedia, the right to
distribute their material under the GNU FDL.  Hmm...

Very puzzling.

Larry