[Wikipedia-l] Metadata report solicited

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Mon Nov 26 23:59:07 UTC 2001

What we've got to do is solicit (OK, I'm hereby soliciting) a
*report*--not just a mailing list-style rant or collection of opinions,
but an intelligent, long, organized, clearly-written, in-depth
*analysis*, about the issues involved in our maintaining various kinds
of metadata.  This report would (intelligently) answer the following
questions:

What kind of metadata does our license require us to maintain, if any?
What sort of metadata would be particularly useful for us to keep track
of?
What sort of metadata can be maintained *automatically* (and
accurately)?
What are the problems associated with maintaining certain kinds of
metadata by hand?  Is there *any* metadata at all that we should expect
each other to maintain by hand (and which can only be reliably, if at
all, be maintained by hand)?

I vaguely recall we have an expert or two about this sort of thing on
board!

Larry