[Wikipedia-l] Vote on subpages

Simon Kissane sj_kissane at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 06:48:20 UTC 2001

I personally support abolishing support for subpages
in the software. But some people (GWO, AV) seem to
disagree. So I have a proposal: if there is a lack of
consensus on whether or not we should get rid of
subpages, why not have a vote on it? I have noticed
that nupedia-l has held votes on stuff to do with
Nupedia (although since I've never been involved in
that list, just had a quick peek at the archives, I
don't know the details of how they operate...)

We could simply appoint someone as returning officer
(hereafter RO) (I think LMS acted as RO for nupedia-l;
if he wants to he could do it for this as well;
otherwise I'd be willing to do it, or anyone else who
wishes to step forward can). We agree on precisely
what the question is, i.e. "the support for subpages
that exists in the current Wikipedia software shall
not be implemented in the new Wikipedia software", and
then everyone emails their vote (yes or no; I think we
should try to avoid maybes or "its more complicated
than that" votes) to the RO. The RO then tabulates the
votes and posts the result to the mailing list. (I'd
also recommend the RO posting who voted each way --
that way we can ensure against fraud.)

We could have the vote on Wikipedia itself, the only
problem there is that fraud would be far too easy.
Doing it by email is safer. But we still should notify
the election and the result on Wikipedia itself, for
the sake of Wikipedians who don't participate in this
mailing list.