[Wikipedia-l] Admins (I suspect LMS) permanently deleting things without reason

Robert Bihlmeyer robbe+wiki at orcus.priv.at
Mon Nov 5 18:10:55 UTC 2001

"Magnus Manske" <Magnus.Manske at epost.de> writes:

> There is a "delete this page" function in the PHP wikipedia, for
> "privileged" users only.

Why only for them? A normal user can make the page empty after all.
If we're going to remove the biggest disadvantages of page deletion
(that is, removal of the page history, including the notion of the
deletion itself), it is no problem to give this privilege to everyone.

As Jimbo pointed out, deleting a page is better than turning it empty.

Pages that cannot be edited by normal users are of course exempt.

An "expunge" command that removes a page and all history, just as the
current delete operation does may or may not be necessary. If
implemented, it should probably be combined with blacklisting the page
title so that creating a page with same name is prohibited until
further notice.

--
Robbe