[Wikipedia-l] cut/paste

rose.parks at att.net rose.parks at att.net
Wed May 16 03:43:53 UTC 2001

Members and Mr. Crocker,

     I was responding directly to the post by Mr.
Pobratyn. He said:

I have a bit of a moral dilemma here: some articles on
wikipedia seem to pop-up non-wikified and written
slightly 'too well'. It seems obvious that
it is a copy/paste job from another source. What should
we/I do in such a case? Delete it?

     I take plagiarism extremely seriously and many
members of Nupedia, at least, know that. For the same
reason, I take an unsupported claim of plagiarism
extremely seriously and consider it a dangerous move.

     Mr. Pobratyn cited as the basis for his suspicions,
articles that appear, I guess, full-blown, unwikified,
and written "too well."

     I reacted to this, because I have posted articles
that way, although I usually wikify them, somewhat. As I
said, this is because they are literally copied from my
own work.

     On a more general level, these symptoms in an
article or entry are not a basis to delete them. This
requires proof that the entry has been "borrowed" from
a copyrighted source.

     If you gentlemen have some particular author/s in
mind, I suggest you put your heads together and try to
find the source. But to delete them out of hand,
implying they are plagiarised, to me. is assuming guilt
until one proves oneself innocent. I think a better
approach, and the one that supposedly prevails in the
U.S.A., is to assume someone is innocent until proven
guilty.

     As far as my insulting the original poster, I say
them let him speak for himself. I really prefer not to
get involved in what you, Mr. Crocker, think that the
original poster feels. Only he can say whether he found
my post insulting. C'est ca.

            As Ever,

               Ruth Ifcher

--