[Wikipedia-l] To redirect or not ?

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Sat Jun 16 14:42:30 UTC 2001

Not knowing much about this stuff, I don't know if one could say a
significant amount about Vitamin C-qua-Vitamin C that would not be covered
in an ascorbic acid article.  *However*, in this case, I wouldn't use
redirects at all, and here is why: when you use a redirect for anything not
totally trivial (e.g., misspellings), you miss the opportunity to explain
then and there for the reader what the relationship between A and B, when
you want to redirect to A to B.  So, I'm guessing most of the relevant
information should go under "ascorbic acid," but at Vitamin C we should have
at least a line that says "''Vitamin C'' is the common name for [[ascorbic
acid]], q.v."  I (at the risk of irritating Jimbo) use "q.v." because this
expresses to the reader the author's intention that this isn't *all* we want
you to know about Vitamin C (I mean, it doesn't help much just to be told
that it's also called "ascorbic acid")--we really do want you to follow the
link, so "quod vide."

Larry