[Wikipedia-l] Controversial thoughts

Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz kpjas at promail.pl
Wed Jun 13 09:29:43 UTC 2001

Hello all,

I might sound totally blasphemous so be patient.
Wikipedia and wiki concept is really great but the WWW is a global
Wikipedia without the end-user editing facility.
Aren't we in a cul-de-sac ?
WWW is full of brilliant pages and sites entangled in a sea of rubbish.
I doubt that we can outdo most sites, commercial or personal. Wouldn't it
be better to do a critical review of the whole web with some additions of
our own ?

Another point worth discussing is the role of a wikipedian.
In my opinion he/she is a 21st century counterpart of an 18th encyclopedist.
A knowledgeable, open-minded, rational, impartial person (not a scientist)
whose mission is to gather knowledge. Wikipedia should be a global
knowledge base rather than a collection of personal essays on subject one
can find in a normal encyclopedia.

Editorial board.
Are we for a democracy or freedom/anarchy ?
At some point when Wikipedia reaches a critical mass there should be some
democratic Editorial Board. It could even freeze some pages for some time.
If you say no to the Editorial Board some democratic rules should be set in
stone.

End point.
Can someone please tell me what's the end point/goal of Wikipedia ?
Don't tell there no end-point and this is eternal task ;-)

RDF
Wikipedia - patchy with some articles for students, some for laymen and
some for university professors ?
Or branch out into Kid's Wikipedia, Regular Wikipedia, Highbrow Wikipedia.

I am really enthusiastic about Wikipedia - I contribute regularly and am
determined to to so in future. These are just my thoughts.
Please bear in mind I have _no_ intention to spread FUD (fear, uncertainty,
doubt) about Wikipedia's functioning and goals.
I hope Wikipedia will flourish.

Best regards,
kpj.
--
Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz, M.D | Wszystko jest w rekach czlowieka. Dlatego
Czestochowa, Poland ...       | nalezy je czesto myc. Stanislaw Jerzy Lec