[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia Real Time Chat

Ben Finney bignose at zip.com.au
Sun Dec 9 04:15:54 UTC 2001

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 23:13:39 -0600, Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:
> I think this is really great.  I think it would get more traffic if
> there was a java interface.

IRC is a protocol, which allows anyone to choose their own client.  I'd
much rather use a client of my choosing (and under my control) than use
a website where I have to use whatever chat interface has been decided.

> If we had a web page with a java chat thingy, that'd be cool.  Does
> anyone know a good open source answer?

Linux.com, which participates in the OPN, has a page with links to
various clients that can be used.  They also link to a page where they
run a Java client to IRC.

  <http://www.linux.com/interact/live/>

--
 \       "I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me |
  `\                                     as members."  -- Groucho Marx |