[Wikipedia-l] Re: Meet and greet

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 10:16:50 UTC 2001

On Saturday 24 August 2002 12:01 pm, Ed wrote:
> I'm sure we're all sorry (er, um, glad!) to hear about Mav's new job.

Thanks for the sentiment but I'm still at the same job :-) -- except now I
have 4 days a week of night class in addition to my full time job.

> I've been greeting new users occasionally,
> and as of today I've started
> copying Mav's meet-and-greet template.

Great! Although if you can try to spice the greeting up a bit -- I'm overly
logical and it shows in my greeting.

>I can't promise 3 hours a day of
>anti-vandalism patrol, but I do
>browse Recent Changes frequently.

Yeah, 3 hours is a bit too long -- it would be nice to have a feature whereby
an asterisk (or whatever) is by any edit in recent changes that has not been
viewed by a logged-in user (or better yet a sysop). This would majorly cut
down on duplication of vandalism and copyright infringement patrol effort by
militia members.

Also for me at least it would be a /major/ speed-up improvement to have the
option of having Recent Changes in table format again -- it takes me
/forever/ to scan user names and IPs the way it is now.

> I enjoy encouraging newbies with praise and guidance, and I don't mind
> cleaning up after the uninitiated. But if they refuse to listen, I won't
> hesitate to make 'em stand in the corner (see [[child time-out]]).
>
> Ed Poor

In spite of our differences of opinion in social and political matters I
think you are a great people person and well suited to help with the job or
greeting and guiding.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)