[Wikipedia-l] Talk policy

Mark Christensen mchristensen at HTEC.com
Thu Aug 23 20:40:57 UTC 2001

I also brought this subject up in the Wikipedia itself.  I think it's
important to refactor discussions.  The key sociological differences between
Usenet and a wiki is that the ability to make instant additions and add to
discussions is balanced by the ability to edit what has come before.  If
Larry's correct in worrying about the Wikipedia becoming just another
discussion group, the way we should go about fixing that is to refactor
discussions.

Anyway, I don't buy the argument that since refactoring a /talk page is a
complex issue there are no rules we can apply.  For example, I think we can
say:

1) It's generally better to refactor /talk pages to summarize the previous
discussion than to delete that discussion.

2) Refactoring should not take place until the discussion has either died
down, or moved on to a new topic.

3) If there's a long discussion between two people, and it's slightly off
topic, feel free to move it to a new page, and replace it with a link to the
new page (a sub page of one of the involved parties is a good idea.)

4) When refactoring a /talk page, look for content which should be added to
the main encyclopedia page.

If we go back to the origonal post, I agree that talk about a simple
typographical error should not exist, and can be deleted imediately.  If you
find a typo, go ahead and fix it, don't just post a gripe.