[Wikipedia-l] archiving the Wikipedia

Tim Chambers tbc+wikipedia at cos.agilent.com
Wed Aug 15 20:12:19 UTC 2001

I'd like to have access to a tarball of the Wikipedia. Larry mentioned Jason
as being the one to set up the cron jobs, so I'm copying him FWIW.

A couple details haven't been discussed:

1. When the tarball becomes available, I assume it'll be a link from the
appropriate Wikpedia page? I'd propose at least HomePage. Maybe
Wikipedia_FAQ. And how about a page devoted to the tarball. Say, [[Wikipedia
Snapshot]]? See

2. It wasn't discussed whether all versions would be archived or not. That,
of course, is ideal. But it will grow ''ad infiniutum.'' (''ad nauseum''?
:-) I think it's essential for the historical record to archive all
revisions, but I think there should also be a "snapshot" tarball of only the
latest version of each article. It would be considerably smaller and
wouldn't grow as fast as the full archive. If that was done, then there
could be a page called [[Wikipedia Archives]] that had links to both
tarballs.