[Wikipedia-l] ISBN links

Robert Bihlmeyer robbe at orcus.priv.at
Tue Aug 14 08:27:29 UTC 2001

The automatic links to booksellers provided with ISBN numbers are a
good feature overall.

I'd rather have them not point at Amazon, though, since they are
obviously against freedom (keyword: 1-click patent), and didn't
respect my privacy (details on request). I would be more comfortable
with links to other outfits (Barns & Noble, whatever).

Obviously you may differ on this issue, and if the links to Amazon are
kept, I suggest that they use the Amazon Honor System. With this Bomis
would receive payment for every traffic that reaches Amazon through
one of those links (just like with banner ads). AFAIK, the only thing
that must be changed is the base URL used in those links (e.g. putting
/wikipedia/ somewhere in there), and of course registering with
Amazon. If you implement this, please put up some page stating where
the money goes. I'd expect Bomis to earmark the money for the hosting
& maintaining costs of wikipedia, but it's always good to have an
explicit statement.

Perhaps other booksellers offer similar deals, or they could be worked
out individually.

What do others think?

--
Robbe