[Wikipedia-l] Suggestioins for improved search

Axel Boldt axel at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Aug 3 15:20:38 UTC 2001

Hello,

I think most users mainly want to search on article titles, not on
full text. Maybe that should be the default behavior of the search box
(changeable in preferences?).

Then there should be an "Advanced
search" page where you can do full text search with regular expressions
and all the fixings. This would be used by authors, but users could
also see a link to this page on their list of returned search results.

I think search results would become more relevant and searching would
become quicker.

Alternatively, one could modify the presentation of search results so
that those articles whose title matches the search string are listed
first, followed by the article body matches.

Also, I don't think it helps to have subpages listed as indented.
Indentation suggests one of two things: the indented entries are not
as important as the others, or they belong together into some group,
neither of which applies to the search results. I think it would be
easier to scan the search results if all results would be indented
except for the first one of every letter, like this:

Axiom
  Arian nation
  Austria
Denmark