[Wikipedia-l] Where now

Larry Sanger lsanger at nupedia.com
Mon Apr 30 13:18:35 UTC 2001

Dear all,

I'm writing this from atop the tallest building on the tallest hill in
Izhevsk, Russia, a city of about 800,000 with a definite small town feel to
it.  It's a very nice view.  (Perhaps I'll send Bomis a photo to scan in and
post for you.)  I've managed to get connected to the Internet here earlier
than I expected I would, so things should now, I hope, proceed as usual.
Perhaps the only difference you might notice is that I am working from 9ish
PM to 5ish AM, Pacific Standard Time!  (The largest time difference possible
from Nupedia's server!)

I'm very pleased to say that, despite the "down time" travelling (and sick
one day--also travel-induced, I suspect!) recently, I'm still essentially
caught up with e-mail.  Those expecting e-mail replies should receive them
within the next 24 hours.  Moreover, I have been working away at the latest
(extremely extensive) revisions/updates to the Nupedia policy guidelines.
As long as there aren't any enormous interruptions or drains on my time, I
should have this finished and posted on Advisory-L and Nupedia-L, for
comment, within a week.  I shouldn't make predictions beyond that but I
think there's a good chance I'll be able to devote more time to such
essential but long-neglected and time-consuming tasks as finding editors for
certain categories.

I had two great meetings in Boston with Nupedia editors: Michael Witbrock
and Gaytha Langlois.  That was fun in both cases and I feel that I
understand them and their enthusiasm much better.  We're very lucky to have
enthusiastic people like this on board!

Best,
Larry