[Wikinews-l] Wikinews is too rigid? Introducing some flexibility?New contributors?

Jon Davis wiki at konsoletek.com
Sun Sep 6 23:26:00 UTC 2009

Something else to consider,  maybe we should make some more user talk page
templates that can be used to help people along (especially if we can drop
them _before_ they goto our deletion warning messages, like {{abandoned}}.
Example: "Hey, I see you've started a new article, remember to do these 3
very important things and put it into {{review}} when you're read" --
Basically any common problem we have, we should have a talk page template
for it and we should make sure EVERYONE uses them.  If you want to mark an
article as {{abandoned}}, inform the user.  I've seen more than a few cases
where users have come back later and said "Hey, why did you mark this as
abandoned/deleted it. I was done".  Let's be fair, our way of doing this is
unique to the ENTIRE WMF community.  Additionally, I recently stole off
Commons "User Messages" Gadget (goto Preferences > Gadgets > UI Gadgets --
to turn it on).  Basically it adds a SHIT TON of options in your Toolbox
when on a Usertalk page.  This makes it _ultra_ simple to leave talk page
messages (You don't even have to remember what exactly they say, there is
help text).

I am also considering stealing off with their "Quick Delete" gadget which
would enable us to have 1 click to tag an article (for example) as abandoned
_AND_ notify to user.  Might require some fine tuning by our local JS
masters, but it would be useful.

As for {{copy edit}}.  I'm not saying make it required, but it would be nice
as an option.  I can review any article I want, because I've got editor, but
I can't copy edit for shit.  There are other people who can copy edit
superbly, but don't have Editor yet.  Make it easy for everyone to find each
other.  I realize this was shot down when the system was being developed,
but it's been around for a while, would others find this helpful? Or am I
the only failure of a writer around here?

-SGN/Jon