[Wikinews-l] Wikinewsie

brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Thu Oct 8 17:26:08 UTC 2009

I need technical help for some of this - and am quite busy on other
things. ;-)

Based on previous ramblings - there's the following:

- The Editors' Blog is running an out-of-date version of WordPress, the
'click here to update' is broke, so it'd probably be better just
extracting the database, starting from a fresh WordPress install and

- We need a 'proper' WordPress skin, one that doesn't involve hacks into
the core WordPress install. My thoughts on that are to have something in
keeping with the MediaWiki Vector skin/scheme. [Also, should take into
account the look/feel of the enwp main page and articles (from articles:
the {{Social bookmarking}} template).

- I don't think Vector has been released as a ready-to-go MediaWiki
skin, files are available, but implementing the skin is a little bit of
hacking.

Can't think of anything else, perhaps someone can suggest ways/api
features that would allow pulling data out of the Public: namespace on
the Wikinewsie wiki to go into more static pages outwith the wiki. Like
pulling out only the html-formatted content as happens on-wiki with a
template inclusion.

Brian