[Wikinews-l] Wikipedia's 'In the news'

Peter Coombe thewub.wiki at googlemail.com
Tue May 26 12:51:09 UTC 2009

2009/5/26 Jason Safoutin <jason.safoutin at wikinewsie.org>:
> All I am saying is Wikipedia is not a news site. And if we have to have
> a policy on why we are not Wikipedia, then they should have one on why
> they are not Wikinews.

There is one, number 4 under
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_an_indiscriminate_collection_of_information

To quote:
Wikipedia considers the historical notability of persons and events.
News coverage can be useful source material for encyclopedic topics,
but not all events warrant an encyclopedia article of their own.
Routine news coverage of such things as announcements, sports, and
tabloid journalism are not sufficient basis for an article. Even when
an event is notable, individuals involved in it may not be. Unless
news coverage of an individual goes beyond the context of a single
event, our coverage of that individual should be limited to the
article about that event, in proportion to their importance to the
overall topic. (See Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons for more
details.) While including information on recent developments is
sometimes appropriate, breaking news should not be emphasized or
otherwise treated differently from other information. Timely news
subjects not suitable for Wikipedia may be suitable for our sister
project Wikinews.

Pete / the wub