[Wikinews-l] WikiVoices - 2000 UTC this evening

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed Dec 23 15:43:48 UTC 2009

This is a reminder about this evening's Wikivoices.

Mike Peel of WMUK is a participant and from following him on twitter has
only recently submitted his PhD thesis.

This looks like today's biggest physics story[1]. I'm sending the link
to Mike as he'd possibly be persuadable to write an article on this and
can give it more from a physicists' perspective.

One point I do want to touch on related to that is the wiki community
having people like Mike. Most likely everyone remembers the mess that
was the "Balloon Boy" story/hoax. If I recall correctly it was 3-4 days
after this was top news non-stop that someone bothered to find out from
a physicist that, in all probability, the balloon was incapable of
carrying the child's weight. *That* would have been a very nice bot of
OR to include early-on and avoid getting sucked into a media
circus/publicity stunt.

I'm still looking for Wackynews. If anyone has seen some truly silly
stories (with two or more independent sources) let me know ASAP.

[1]
http://news.google.ca/news/story?pz=1&cf=all&ned=ca&hl=en&ncl=di5wulnPbEPvGqMsKPrM5dywJ0M_M&scoring=n

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>