[Wikinews-l] Newstrust.net

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sun Dec 13 02:39:42 UTC 2009

[Refactored because top-posting is evil.]

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Brian McNeil wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 18:27 -0700, bawolff wrote:

> >> It'd go like this: Client loads page, page asks toolserver what
> >> rating
> >> of source is, toolserver asks newstrust (possibly caching results).

Reminder: I'm wanting the url parameter and publisher name sent to
NewsTrust. Ideally Wikinews is displaying the sourced-from article's
rating. If they don't have one, or a very small number of reviews, it
falls back to the publisher's more general rating. We do want to pick
out where a normally good publisher spits out a dud.

> >> I assume that'd take care of privacy issues
> >
> > I do worry how much work that would impose on NewsTrust. There would
> > need to be some sort of API on their end to serve requests up with
> > needed data.
> >
> > It would also make having a "mission critical" Toolserver box essential.
> > I know how flaky the toolserve has historically been. We can't rely on
> > what's there for stuff appearing in published main namespace content.
> >
> > In any case, we'd need to be sending the following information to
> > NewsTrust from the Toolserver:
> >
> > article URL
> > source name
> > if an initial request, or periodic polling
> >
> > It'd need to return
> >
> > any rating they have for the article
> > an indicator there rating is for the article
> > the number of reviews for the article
> > any rating they have for the source
> > the number of reviews for the source
> >
> > If a periodic polling, NewsTrust could return some sort of "no change"
> > indicator.
> >
> > This would be flexible enough that Wikinews could collect the
> > information on our own articles and stay within the privacy policy and
> > the WMF techies paranoia about cross-site scripting attacks.

> Ideally if we did use the toolserver as an intermediary, it'd cache
> would fail gracefully if toolserver has downtime).

I'm factoring in an "unchanged" response instead of a large blob of XML.
This way we can minimise the load put on NewsTrust and keep the data
current. I don't want too long a delay between someone reviewing an
article on NewsTrust and that being reflected anywhere the data is
displayed on Wikinews. It encourages readers both to look at these
things on NewsTrust *and* to check Wikinews articles more than once.

A last point I'd be really keen to go over with Kul in the office is how
the Foundation itself, as opposed to a semi-independent project effort,
could partner with NewsTrust. Few points on that:

The Wikinews logo is a registered mark. NewsTrust could use it under
fair-use provisions but an actual in-writing agreement would be far, far
better - and more *transparent*.

The Foundation has, as far as I know, done a few select deals with the
Wikipedia logo. If I recall correctly, one of the Spanish ISPs has a
deal to do a portal into Wikipedia content. I think that would involve
private data sharing. Can a similar deal be drawn up with NewsWire? Is
it, perhaps, just as simple as specific clauses in NewsTrust's privacy
policy and terms of use?

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>|http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil
Content of this message in no way represents the opinions or official position