[Wikinews-l] Wikinews on the night before the night before Christmas

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Mon Dec 7 20:03:14 UTC 2009

Wikinews WikiParty!
[No! This does not mean I wear my kilt Cary.]

This will be the first time ever that Jimmy Wales has done WikiVoices
(previously: Not the Wikipedia Weekly), *and* it's on Wikinews.

George Watson (Dendodge) has said he should be able to do this too.
Just in case not, I'd welcome a standby or two; you *need* Skype, and a
headset or other good microphone. Considering French Wikinews is working
towards getting listed in GNews, it would be really nice to have someone
from there in - even if not for the full session. That's in addition to
Dendodge. One of Wikinews' strengths is the international nature; moving
to two of the top Western languages being in GNews is good news.

An as-yet unconfirmed attendee is Rory Cellan-Jones, one of the
semi-geeky, and semi-independent, journalists that works with/for the
BBC. So, yes, I have high hopes of this getting Wikinews some publicity.

Set diverse alarms for making sure you're in IRC, tracking recent
changes, and anything else like that during the recording and few hours
after. I'll try and get Durova to give fair warning of the actual
Skypecast going up on Wikipedia - there will likely be another spike
then.

Regrettably, ShakataGaNai will have to earn his 1% when this is
happening; I considered a Prozac prescription. But, he'd just smile more
while blowing people off the Internet for trolling and POV-pushing.

And if you do have Skype, there will be a text chat session too,
everyone writing on Wikinews who can be involved in that, should.