[Wikinews-l] Pushing User page photo's from wikinews to commons

Brian W bawolff at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 04:50:37 UTC 2007

Note: this is in reference to the english wikinews

We have tons of personal photo's of users for userpages. most of them
are not licensed freely, if licensed at all (some of them even claim
they are ''fair use'' which is a total load of ...). I personally
think that they shouldn't be on wikinews whatsoever (as they'd
probably also be on the user's page at wikipedia, etc, and we
currently have no policy's regarding them, so it'd just be easier to
make them go somewhere that already has a policy), so I propose:

*All new self photo's for user pages go on commons, and follow their
policies ([[Commons:Criteria for
inclusion#Wikimedia_Commons_is_a_common_central_media_repository_of_all_Wikimedia_projects]])

*old ones can stay [at wikinews], we won't delete them for now if
there inproperly licensed as the user clearly wants them here, or
decide what to do with them later

*any new one's have to be at commons, or they go into the black abyss
of death and doom.

note: I'm cc-ing this commons-l, as it concerns them, and I have no
idea if they'll like it or not, so if they say no, its not happening.
its also posted on the wc at wikinews.

--[[user:bawolff|Bawolff]]