[Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Craig Spurrier craig at craigweb.net
Wed Aug 22 18:29:53 UTC 2007

Wikinews Markie wrote:
> in my opinion it wouldnt just be for issuing accreditations but the
> whole support package to go with it - contacts, email adresses and off
> wiki web space for stuff such as calanders etc. if its just for
> issueing credentials then i agree it seems kinda pointless.
Issuing accreditation is a major part of it, but providing the support
services is a major thing that a Wikinews foundation could and should
handle.
> the accreditation process atm is mostly for english speakers although
> passes have been issued to others.  the main reason its only eng atm
> is because its the only process to have acheived approval from the
> foundation.
It was never actually approved by the foundation, nor can they ever
safely approve it, hence the need for a separate organization.

> opening it up to non wiki users would also go against the requirements
> for accreditation, mainly - must be a trusted user with X many
> contribs, so i dont agree with this atm.
The biggest problem is that we do not know for the most part if we can
trust someone who is not a Wikinewsie. If we could come up with an
appropriate system for determining this and the people were acting in
the best interests of Wikinews we could perhaps issue them with
credentials.
-Craig Spurrier
[[n:Craig Spurrier]]