[Wikimediameta-l] Meta spam blacklist

Herby herbythyme at fmail.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 11:06:28 UTC 2007

Let's see if this does anything!

Noticing the Spam blacklist requests were piling up Aphaia & I started
working on the backlog and have got quite a bit done.

However we have encountered two issues which we would appreciate other
views on.

The use of the blacklist by non foundation wikis

This is probably best looked at/described here -
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk%3ASpam_blacklist&diff=652181&oldid=652170

Views welcome?

The use of local blacklists & particularly en wp.

There is quite a bit of (valid) pressure to place some persistently
spammed domains into the Meta list.  It appears en wp admins are
reluctant to use the local blacklist (why?).  However - equally - the
validity of some of the domains is more than a little questionable.
Will brass-fittings-brass-fittings.netfirms.com, suntanning.com or
uk-metal-detectors .co.uk be likely to be useful to the foundation?

Before I find myself in a(nother) argument views would be welcome or
equally a better place to post?  Giving this list a "start" seemed an
idea!

Cheers
Herby
--