[Wikimedia Kenya] Visiting Kenya after Wikimania 2011

Limoke Oscar oslimoke at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 15:16:38 UTC 2011

Asaf,
> The iHub sounds great, and a post-1800 time for public speaking is not a
> problem for me!  Can WMKE set it up?  If there's a fee to use the iHub, the
> Foundation will pay it.
The problem is not with the you,most WMKE may not do a post-1800
meeting.The travel logistics in Nairobi may not allow most of us to
attend the meeting.I suggest we do a daytime meeting at some other
venue?The August memorial Park in the City Center?However they charge
a small fee.The iHub facility is free of charge for scheduled meetings
subject to availability and booking.

> This sounds good to me.  I have already contacted the Google Nairobi office,
> and they would be happy for me to visit.  I'd like some of you to join me.
>  I know some of you have already had contact with the Google Nairobi office,
> so perhaps we can use this opportunity to introduce some other WMKE members
> to the Google team?  I think 3 or 4 WMKE members would be great to join me
> in that meeting.  Securing Google as a sponsor for WTN would definitely be
> one goal of that meeting.  What else do you think we could ask from Google?
>  They wanted "numbers and figures", not your NGO registration papers; this
> means that if we can come up with concrete plans (with a budget, a realistic
> timeline, and a list of people committed to doing the work), we can move
> forward with securing support from Google (as well as the Foundation).

Great.I contacted them and am still awaiting their response.Glad you
caught their attention.I would be happy to join you.

>> We also visited KU (www.ku.ac.ke) with Ting and we had a greta and
>> fruitful discussions with the Top Management of the Universities about
>> future areas of collaboration in advancing our aims.We were supposed
>> to get back to them and deliver an Outreach sort of talk to there
>> students about Wikipedia and Wikimedia Projects

> Excellent!  Perhaps we can deliver a double talk as I proposed elsewhere --
> a general "introduction to Wikipedia" delivered by a WMKE member, and a talk
> on Wikimedia as a global movement (or on the Foundation and its strategy and
> plans?) by me.  Is one of you willing to make this happen?
Our Contact at KU(Dr.Martin Njoroge) earlier on told me that our vsist
may not be possible as they KU Students will be away then.He wished it
were in September.I saw your request to the Director of e-learning in
a different thread and I hope we will be able to have a chat with him.
I would be finding the contacts of the Director of e-learning of JKUAT
and I hope you would not mind sedning a similar email to him.

Regards,
Limoke O.