[Wikimedia Kenya] Fwd: what do you think?

Alex Wafula xelawafs at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 18:51:06 UTC 2011

Well said Abbas, specifically on the issue of board members representing the community.

So echoing Abbas, if we are to increase the number of board members, I don't see Oscar's reason as a valid one.

Regarding the Etherpad, yah, I can't do updates via phone :( I've always seen it as a good platform for collaborating on meeting schedules but since it's already up....

If you guys are up for a physical meetup, please confirm this by tomorrow and I'll request for space at ihub.

Cheers,
Alex.

On Wed Apr 6th, 2011 11:15 AM PDT Abbas Mahmood wrote:

>OK, I'll tell Alex to arrange a possible meetup this weekend at iHub.On another note, I know this is slightly off-topic but I'll echo it here:I have been experiencing some problems accessing the etherpad today, presumably because of my internet sucks, so I'll put my comment here today:In the etherpad, oscar raised an issue regarding the adding more member(s) to the board so that the voice of the community is heard.My response: I do not agree with this statement simply because you are implying that the board is not part of the community and therefore it needs an extra person from the community to represent them. The board will comprise of people who come from the community, so I don't see why there is a need "of a voice from the community". Oscar also mentioned the factor of typical Kenyan boardrooms with a person/seat representing the members/community.My response: In my opinion, I don't find it logical to compare us with a typical Kenyan organization
 which has meetings in closed doors and therefore necessitating a seat to voice the community. On the other hand, Wikimedia is open. The meetings are open to all. It is only the decision-makers that are the board. This is not an organisation whose board will be made up of consultants who don't have a clue about what is happening in the community: the board is the community! I do not believe in a Wikimedia where there is a veil between the board and the community. And Oscar, you've been complaining about the low turnover of responses on the etherpad. I have received some reports claiming that people can't access the etherpad from their mobile phones, hence the low rate of replies. (Remember that we are in the Global South and mobile internet is ubiquitous :P)You also mentioned that 10 out of 50 people attend our meetups. I agree with you that that is not an impressive number. But we should remember that there are some members who are not interested in
 meeting up. (I think it was also mentioned in berlin that a number of editors as well were not interested in having face-to-face meetups)-- So don't worry about this: it's typical Wikipedian nature. Others are not interested in knowing who's the Chairperson of the Chapter. Others don't care about voting or selecting members of the Board. Others might be interested only in going to Nyeri. Or others might not have the fare to make it to the venue. It is important to realise that different people have different needs. So don't expect every Tom, Dick & Harry to be interested in the bylaws. Maybe it's just their character not to be interested in the actual paperwork but rather, they are concerned with fieldwork.Sincerely,