[Wikimedia Kenya] Nyeri report

stephen wanjau wanjaustev at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 10:38:59 UTC 2011

May I take this chance that already makes me feel like a hero as the team
leader for Nyeri pilot to give you a brief  summary for the pilot.I am
putting together the titbits to have a detailed report that I will avail at
WWW.Wikimedia.or.ke.
I must first thank God for everything and then thank my team for not only
their egregious perfomance but for also making the trip an erudite &
exuberant experience,and not forgetting all the members of Wikimedia Kenya
who took part in a way or the other to make the pilot successful.

We managed to have 10+1 schools onboard! The extra school came up as we did
our presentation in one of the schools, kumbe among the active audience was
a teacher from another school in Karatina (which is around 40km from Nyeri)
she was so impressed by what we were offering to schools and she even went
ahead to request us to passby her school.we could not make it Because our
schedule was tight,but we took it upon us to show her how to install and go
about the Wikipedia for schools.I decided to go the extra mile, which is
never crowded and I armed her with a copy of the DVD and the users manual
albeit I did not tell her to sign the completion certificate because we did
not personally visit the school.

We managed to do presentations in five schools.we could not make to do this
in all the ten because examinations in most of the schools were underway,and
I think this should be factored in projects we could undertake in the
future.
During the presentations we flaunted the Wikimedia foundation projects but
later narrowed down to Wikipedia which in this case was our prime objective
of the visit.
We showed them how to create Wikipedia accounts and how to write articles
for the encyclopedia.infact we lured them to do more by writing short
articles-a line or two about their respective schools.
Sad to note though,the viruses at these schools computers had no benign
intent.two of the laptops that we had with us were infected and the kiwix
application couldn't run anymore!we had connected these laptops using
crossover cables to expedite the copying process after seeing the dire need
to have more computers copy the kiwix and the zim file simultaneously.I
think that was a "lesson well learnt" .but this did not deter us from
carrying on.Thanks to technology.

All in all the trip was successful.

Now sounding reminiscent,Nyeri is the home of scouting and the final resting
place of the founder of the world wide brotherhood of scouts Robert Baden
Powell.

Once again thank you everyone for every input into this noble course.