No subject

Fri Sep 2 16:33:14 UTC 2011

participating in outreach sessions, I think the biggest challenge when=20
we do outreach is "why to contribute".=A0 Of course, "how to=
 edit" is=20
essential - but unless someone believes there is a strong enough reason=20
to participate, it's unlikely they're going to get involved or stay=
=20
involved after a couple of exploratory edits.=A0 From my conversations and
 readings, the motivators of existing editors are any or a combination=20
(or variants) of "promoting free knowledge" or "sharing know=
ledge in=20
general" or "improving education" or "passion for their=
 languages" or=20
"interest in a particular subject (e.g. astronomy or railways or=20
butterflies.)=A0 However, my opinion is that it is relatively complex to=20
convey these in an initial outreach session.=A0 It's best to motivate a=
nd=20
train and support potential newbies to join the movement and community -
 and allow them to discover for themselves what is the inspiration for=20
them (especially because it is likely to be unique to that individual.)<br>
Personally, i think there are a number of really compelling answers to=20
the &quot;What&#39;s in it for me?&quot; question - and I do want to share =
my take on=20
it.=A0 I&#39;m dividing my answer into students and faculty/institutions.=
=A0=20
(The tone I&#39;m using is what can be used when actually answering the=20
question.)=A0 These answers are a little clinical and conceptual but I&#39;=
ve=20
found they work - and I believe they will provide an adequate incentive=20
to try and learn a little bit more about editing and to hopefully become
 regular editors.<br>
Academia - Students</b><br>
ssential when you=20
move ahead in life either to do further studies or to work.=A0 Our=20
education system (unfortunately) doesn&#39;t adequately teach writing skill=
 and we all struggle when we have to write a formal report or research=20
paper.=A0 When you move into the working world, you&#39;ll find that you ca=
n=20
be as good as you are at your work but unless you are able to write=20
those written reports properly, you&#39;ll always find it hard to succeed.<=
l Point of=20
View (which you will sometimes see in Wikipedia being referred to as=20
NPOV) help you see all sides of a story.=A0 In your future careers, you=20
need to consider the pros and cons of anything - because only that way=20
will you be a better professional.=A0 If you&#39;re into software, look at =
the
 article on waterfall development model and how it looks at pros and=20
cons.=A0 If you&#39;re in economics, look at the article on the Euro bailou=
t=20
and see how it looks at all the multiple complex issues involved.=A0 Very=
=20
little in life is purely good or totally evil; we need to be neutral and
 consider all sides.=A0 You will find this incredibly useful in both your=
=20
personal and professional lives. This thinking will help you decide who=20
to vote for in elections or which version of Lok Pal you support or=20
which IPL team to follow!=A0 This thinking will help you understand your=20
</b>=A0 Editing a wikipedia article=20
requires you to do a lot of referencing (or what wikipedia sometimes=20
calls &quot;citations&quot;.)=A0 This means you need to look beyond just th=
e=20
wikipedia article and research online references and also go into that=20
forgotten room called the library and look up books or journal.=A0 This is
 a skill you cannot live without if you are writing a thesis or working=20
=A0 Editing wikipedia is magical.=A0 You=20
add some content and someone from some other part of the class or school
 or town or country or somewhere else in the world adds a little bit=20
more and makes your contribution that much better.=A0 The days of sitting=
=20
alone under a tree and having an apple fall on your head and discovering
 gravity are over.=A0 In today&#39;s world, we will need to collaborate to=
=20
achieve anything.=A0 If you&#39;re into biotechnology, you might be based i=
n=20
Hyderabad but the team you are part of might have someone in Scotland or
 Brazil- from a different culture and with a different accent - but you=20
need to work together.=A0 Wikipedia helps you learn how to collaborate!</li=
 you submit
 a class report, the maximum audience is 2; 1 being you and 1 being your
 teacher.=A0 After your paper is marked, it will normally be thrown away.=
=A0
 If you edit a wikipedia article, it is there *forever* and the audience
 can be any number from the 500 million who read wikipedia every month!=A0
 You can show your article to you mother and grandfather and friends!=A0=20
If you upload pictures to Wikimedia Commons, you will have an audience=20
so much bigger than the 500 friends on Facebook who will see it.=A0 So=20
many more can see your talents and appreciate your work!</li><li>It&#39;ll =
boost your chances in admissions or scholarships or <b>placements</b>.=A0=
=20
Imagine if you are a mechanical engineer and you are one of 100 students
 in your batch applying for jobs with the best engineering companies who
 come to campus.=A0 Everyone is likely to submit a resume saying they are=
=20
the greatest engineer ever born - but it&#39;s difficult for any one to=20
stand out and shine.=A0 If you were to put a line in your resume that you=
=20
have edited 5 articles on heating and cooling systems, there is a very=20
high probability that this would jump out at the recruitment team of the
 companies and the will actually read your article (if they haven&#39;t=20
 - from all over the=20
world.. You can write about subjects that you are interested in (whether
 it is movies or your hometown or sarees or mythology=A0 or cricket or=20
whatever!) It think it is really important that we drive this message as
 passionately as we can because this is something that can resonate so=20
loud and for so long!</li></ol>
Academia - Faculty &amp; Education Institutions</b><br>
es.=A0 One=20
thing that teachers constantly say is that they one thing they want is=20
<b>engaged students.</b>=A0 I&#39;ve had teachers tell me that if they are =
in a class
 and they see their students involved and trying to learn and active, it
 is the best thing that can happen to them - and the rest of their day=20
c reputation</b>.=A0 In the=20
Indian context where there is relatively lower emphasis on academic=20
research papers by faculty members, supporting your students on=20
Wikipedia articles helps you (rightfully) claim that you contributed to=20
these articles.=A0 That increases your academic standing and helps attract
 better students and faculty and partnerships and recruiting companies.</li=
 class=20
and colleges and around the world.=A0 You have devoted your lives to=20
education and this is a great way of promoting it.</li></ol>
I wanted to share my perspectives because I really believe that the &quot;w=
hy&quot; needs to be addressed.<br>
Thanks for starting a great message thread, Srikanth.<span class=3D"HOEnZb"=
Ramakrishnan wrote:</div>

 with zero constructive edits<br>or IP based vandals. Sadly.<br>Erik, yes, =
I consider Giving to Wiki as giving back to Society. Thanks<br>for the link=
s. Time to read during my month long Wiki break.<br>

Ravi, Bala told me that physical outreach programs had very poor<br>success=
 rates. I concur with him.<br>Prad, I agree. That&#39;s how Manish and I be=
came friends. But still<br>doesn&#39;t explain how to get new guys.<br>

p on December 10th.<br><a href=3D"http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Coi=
mbatore" target=3D"_blank">http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup/Coimbatore=
</a><br>

ling list<br><a href=3D"mailto:Wikimediaindia-l at lists.wikimedia.org" target=
 the list / change mailing preferences visit <a href=3D"https://lists.wikim=
.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaindia-l</a><br>