[Wikimediaindia-l] Copyright Violations by (some) Students: Wikipedia India Education Program

Hisham Mundol hmundol at wikimedia.org
Mon Sep 12 10:30:21 UTC 2011

hisham

On Sep 12, 2011, at 3:11 PM, Gautam John wrote:

> On 12 September 2011 13:16, Hisham Mundol <hmundol at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> (Some) students in the Pune pilot have copy-pasted copyright material onto
>> their articles.  We are taking these copyvios extremely seriously and here's
>> a summary of the action that we have taken.
>
> You know, Hisham, it's nice that the WMF takes this seriously but we
> might be over blowing it a tad too far. The WMFs policies work really
> well in a 1st world environment where there is great sensitivity to
> copyright and violations. In India, it's a different kettle of fish
> and we need to treat it as such.
>
> Yes, it is important to explain why copyvivos are important (and from
> an academic, plagiarism point of view too) but the bigger issue if
> intellectual honesty.
>
> I think they'll do just fine!

I'm sure they'll do fine!  I continue to remain optimistic and refuse to get cynical about it.  …and I'll continue to celebrate some awesome awesome work.

Maybe the tone of my message conveyed the wrong impression.  The primary goal is to explain what a copyvio is, convey why copyvios are not to be done and how to write good quality articles  - all in the context and spirit of better learning, more fun, intellectual honesty and the need to avoid academic plagiarism - so I'm with you on that.