[Wikimediaindia-l] Copyright Violations by (some) Students: Wikipedia India Education Program

Gautam John gautam at prathambooks.org
Mon Sep 12 10:18:17 UTC 2011

Hi Theo:

> I beg to differ Gautum. Since, it was made part of the curriculum this
> almost constitutes as cheating. I am not sure about lofty first world
> standards but

You seem to have missed this:

"Yes, it is important to explain why copyvivos are important (and from
an academic, plagiarism point of view too) but the bigger issue if
intellectual honesty."

> Second, if we don't uphold the "WMF policies" (they are actually project
> policies, not the foundation's) in an officially sanctioned and financed
> program, then who will?

Again, you are raising a straw-man here. I did not say do not respect
copyrights. I said that the current actions were overblown. We might
disagree on this but I do carry an activists perspective here and
respect your position and what the WMF has to do to limit liability
too.

Thank you.

Best,

Gautam