[Wikimediaindia-l] Copyright Violations by (some) Students: Wikipedia India Education Program

Gautam John gautam at prathambooks.org
Mon Sep 12 09:41:24 UTC 2011

On 12 September 2011 13:16, Hisham Mundol <hmundol at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> (Some) students in the Pune pilot have copy-pasted copyright material onto
> their articles.  We are taking these copyvios extremely seriously and here's
> a summary of the action that we have taken.

You know, Hisham, it's nice that the WMF takes this seriously but we
might be over blowing it a tad too far. The WMFs policies work really
well in a 1st world environment where there is great sensitivity to
copyright and violations. In India, it's a different kettle of fish
and we need to treat it as such.

Yes, it is important to explain why copyvivos are important (and from
an academic, plagiarism point of view too) but the bigger issue if
intellectual honesty.

I think they'll do just fine!

Thank you.

Best,