[Wikimediaindia-l] social media to use

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 09:47:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 08:18, Nagarjuna G <nagarjun at gnowgi.org> wrote:

> I personally think we should encourage and use the free software
> alternatives like identi.ca, diaspora so that the event takes an
> opportunity to promote these media which protects user's freedom.
>
> By linking your account to other facebook or twitter followers to
> identi.ca account you will help tell the world that microblogging can be
> done with free software as well and your event supports/sponsors identi.ca.
>

> I do hope the mediawiki conference supports free social media and uses this
> occasion to spread this message among the wikimedians.

I think its best not to confuse / group free knowledge and free software
always. The primary intent of engaging in social media is to promote / reach
out about the mission, not free social media. If you wish to promote Wiki
Conference / Wikimedia in any of the free social media you mentioned, please
come forward. Other social media will anyways link to it since it will have
the content. :)

Srikanth.L
http://srik.me