[Wikimediaindia-l] On creating an Indian Wikisource

Yann Forget yannfo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 07:24:31 UTC 2011

Hello,

For your information, Wikilivres hosting service provider received a
letter from Gallimard, a leading French publisher.
See http://www.wikilivres.info/wiki/File:Injonction_de_Gallimard.pdf
This letter says that major French ISPs have been asked to restrained
access to a list of pages.
Then the hosting service provider sent me a mail saying that "terms of
services have been violated",
and that there are "monitoring" the site.
In addition, the letter sent to French ISPs is one year old, and the
restriction has never been applied
by any provider, according to the tests I have made.
However these restrictions should have been done "within one month",
according to this letter.
Actually there is nothing in French law which demands ISP to restrict
access to content
which are not in the public domain in France.

AFAIK no terms of service was violated, and I've asked the ISP for
clarification.
Gallimard issued a similar threath to Wikisource last year, after
which some texts were deleted by OFFICE action, and later restored
after I sent a counter-notice. There was no news from Gallimard after
that.

This is to mention that copyright has to be taken seriously in this project.

Best regards,

Yann