[Wikimediaindia-l] On the issue of the maps...

Aditya Sengupta apsengupta at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 07:47:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 13:09, Achal Prabhala <aprabhala at gmail.com> wrote:

> The number (and the total inconsistency with how many people actually
> protested) comes from here:
>

> http://www.indianexpress.com/news/protest-against-wrong-map-mars-countrys-first-wiki-conference/877826/0
>
> in which it simultaneously describes "hundreds of protesters" *and* that
> "all 21 who protested were arrested".
>
> Go figure.
>
> The article that's been created out of the controversy is a storm in a
> teacup (and as such is hardly notable) but the storm was so small it was
> barely noticeable - and would have stayed that way except for the
> misreporting of it.

I must say I was slightly disappointed at the size of the protest. We heard
the protest begin, we went around asking all attendees standing outside to
enter the convocation hall; by the time we reached the gate from the lawns,
the protesters had already been swept into a police van and were about to
leave.

To be fair, they were far outnumbered by the police.