[Wikimediaindia-l] Death and Post-mortem of Indian Education Program pilot

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 10:01:46 UTC 2011

Very Valid Points Aswin & pune community.  This is extremely useful. Putting
blame on students and educational system does not help us to study from
this experience . In addition , i was always wondering how we omitted
addressing copy-vios from the programme plan, since it is always expected
in "assignment" based IEP model .

Anivar

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Ashwin Baindur <ashwin.baindur at gmail.com>wrote:

> *On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik.lak at gmail.com>
>  wrote:*
> *I would also request people not to fork any more new threads on this
> with same thoughts, *
>
> CAMPUS AMBASSADOR SETBACK - The Local Community Viewpoint
>
> The recent hiatus in the Campus Education program proved what the Pune
> Community knew. That the statue had feet of clay. For a long time we have
> kept quiet, not wanting to disturb the boat but the time has come to tell
> the tale. So it helps all concerned to revisit the previous decisions,
> actions  and provides for better opportunities for improvements in future.
>
> Hisham first came to Pune in February to our meetup on his trip around the
> country to meet communities. He is smart, very likeable, intelligent,
> focussed and erudite. We were impressed and happy that a suitable person
> would support communities through the India program.
>
> In his subsequent visits over the next two months, whenever we met, there
> was no mention of the campus ambassador scheme or of a pilot project. The
> ambassador project was launched without any intimation and/or consultation
> with the community. The launch of the pilot project in Pune came as a
> complete surprise to the Community who read it from news reports.
>
> Ignoring the slight, on the basis of an email received rather late in the
> day, we looked forward to participating and hoped to make a meaningful
> contribution. We felt that with our contacts, experience, knowledge of
> local language, customs, etc. It would be a mutually beneficial partnership
> with campus ambassadors, which would result in adding to the strength of
> the very small community in Pune. We had no illusions that we could add
> great editting power to the venture because of the size of our community.
> Instead, we hoped to play the role of friend, philosopher and guide. We
> hoped to bring the following to the venture:
>
> * Wiki editting experience - we had a small handful of veteran editors
> including an admin (Srikeit). Whereas Hisham had none and little knowledge
> of the environment or knowledge of the way Wikipedians think.
>
> * Huge experience in event management, FOSS, crisis-management in wide
> fields of experience etc.
>
> * Intimate life-long knowledge of the educational system in Pune. One of
> our communities member Harshad is a notable cog in the academy machinery.
> Sudhanwa has been instructor in half a dozen colleges and has a valuable
> network of contacts in Pune as well as insight into attitudes, local
> politics, expectations etc. The Community also has well-wishers such as Mr
> Lalit Kathpalia, Director SICSR besides others.
>
> * A permanent long-term continuing presence in Pune (which Hisham or his
> staff do not have even today).
>
> * Capacity to act as mentors to campus ambassadors and provide moral and
> other kinds of support to CAs.
>
> * Capacity to act as “train the trainers”.

> [...]

"[It is not] possible to distinguish between 'numerical' and 'nonnumerical'
algorithms, as if numbers were somehow different from other kinds of
precise information." - Donald Knuth