[Wikimediaindia-l] [Press] : The Hindu : "Search on for Konkani transliteration tool"

CherianTinu Abraham tinucherian at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 05:58:56 UTC 2011

*The Hindu : "Search on for Konkani transliteration tool"*
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/article2610794.ece

*A few Wikipedians interested in developing online content in Konkani are
grappling with the technical barriers of dealing with a language that is
written in multiple scripts.*
*
*
*At least, three Wikipedians are on the lookout for Konkani-speaking
software developers who can help them in the task of fine-tuning a
transliteration tool for Konkani. They are hoping that India Hackathon 2011,
a developers' meet to solve problems based on Wikimedia technology, to be
held in Mumbai held on November 19 and 20 will show the way.*
*
*
*Their aim is to refine the Konkani transliteration tool which, once
perfected, will enable reading of online Konkani content in Devanagari,
Roman, Malayalam, Kannada, and Perso-Arabic scripts.*
*
*
*The event aims at improving access, online, offline, and via mobile phone
to Wikipedia and other projects of Wikimedia across all Indian languages.
The transliteration tool is part of improved language support and is being
written first for Konkani. A similar request has been made for Kashmiri,
according to Santhosh Thottingal, a Palghat-based engineer, who works for
the Wikimedia Foundation.*
*
*
*He said the automatic transliteration in Konkani was online and to
complete the transliteration system, Konkani-speaking programmers were
needed. Hackathon would be a good opportunity for volunteer developers to
help with the tool and to discuss issues with developers from the Wikimedia
Foundation. If the tool was perfected, it would have a “big impact” as
other languages could use it as well.*
*
*
*However, Mr Thottingal, who is part of a team working on improving
multilingual support for the foundation's projects and focusing on
improving Indian language Wiki projects, said that it had been difficult
getting developers interested in Konkani with programming skills and an
interest in Wikimedia. Though he could help with the technology, he needed
help with the language, Mr. Thottingal said.*
*
*
*Gurudath Bantwalkar, Mangalorean Wikipedian and Assistant Director of
World Konkani Centre in Mangalore, said though it had been tough, attempts
were on to get Konkani-speaking software engineers for the project.*
*
*
*Amir Elisha Ahroni, an Israel-based software developer, linguist and
participant at the Mumbai hackathon, said that Konkani was “particularly an
interesting case” because it was written in many scripts, with no scripts
dominant and all useful to a significant number of people.*
*
*
*He finds it curious that the scripts include Arabic, which is written from
right-to-left, especially as his job at the Wikimedia Foundation is to
provide full software support for all scripts that are written from
right-to-left, which also includes languages of India such as Kashmiri and
Urdu.*
*
*
*“Since I can read a little bit of Malayalam, I am curious about the ways
that the Malayalam script is used in other languages,” he said.*
*
*
*Mr. Ahroni said: “It's not just Konkani that interests me. Software for
supporting all languages of the world interests me...I am curious about all
languages, and I believe strongly that all languages are equal and all
languages must be supported equally well in all software. English is the
most frequently used language in software, but there's no reason that it
should have any exclusive privilege.”*
*
*
*He said: “I understood that there are Konkani speakers who want to promote
the use of their language. That is something that I always find interesting
and I can identify with it, since Hebrew, the language that I speak, also
has a history of activists that worked hard to advance it.”*

Regards
Tinu Cherian
press at wikimedia.in
http://wiki.wikimedia.in/In_the_news

*Important Note *: The publisher ( The Hindu ) of the above news article
owns the copyrights of the article / content. Request to not kindly
reproduce or circulate the content further. The information is only shared
only with an internal community who have been featured on this article.
 All copyrights are duly acknowledged.