[Wikimediaindia-l] Wired article: wikipedia

Vickram Crishna vvcrishna at radiophony.com
Tue Nov 8 10:19:42 UTC 2011

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/11/st_essay_wikipediawonders/

Essentially a critique of standards being adopted (mainly by UNESCO) to
classify human endeavour as worthy of being noted as 'heritage', the
article points to Wikipedia as the logical embodiment of a heritage worth
revering: "Wikipedia protects the past without impeding the future."

Whether we consider recognition by UNESCO as worth anything or not, this
description itself stands out, pointing the way forward for intelligent
humans to value our futures without trashing the past. More than any other
method of capsuling human endeavour, Wikipedia enables us to gain from
knowledge, and to contribute to the growing store of knowledge, without in
any way detracting from the notable achievements of those who did so
earlier, without which our present accomplishments would not be possible.

--
Vickram
Fool On The Hill <http://communicall.wordpress.com>