[Wikimediaindia-l] Fwd: Copyright problems of images from India

Sreejith K. sreejithk2000 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 11:18:23 UTC 2011

All paintings of Hindu deities are not copyright free. There are clauses for
it. As per Indian copyright act, only paintings that were published 60 years
before are in public domain. Now the question here is how to prove the age
of the painting. Lets take a different example, may be Lord Ram or Lord
Shiva. How can we prove the age of the painting? In one discussion, a
commons admin asked me to find a book that was published 60 years back in
which this image is included. I need not explain the difficulty in getting
such a proof.

Similar case with photographs of images before 1943. Colorization does not
add new copyright, unless they add changes to it which makes it
significantly different from the original. Now, how do you prove the images
of such photographs? These photographs were taken during their lifetime and
probably belongs to their family when it was taken. As per current rules in
Commons, the family will have to send OTRS saying that the image belongs to
them. Even then, someone could say that the photographer is not from their
family and so the OTRS cannot be accepted. See this example ->
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Requests_for_undeletion#File:Varghese_Palakkappillil.jpg

There are a lot of copyright violation photos uploaded to Commons. In
between those deletions, a lot of genuine photographs get deleted for lack
of proof. The concern here is on how to save them.

- Sreejith K.