[Wikimediaindia-l] Advice & Help Sought: Potential Additions to the Community

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Sun May 1 13:18:52 UTC 2011

Hi

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Vickram Crishna <vvcrishna at radiophony.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Hisham Mundol <hmundol at wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
>> Hi All (cross-posting to make sure I reach as much of India as possible),
>>
>> As you're aware, we had invited applications for Campus Ambassadors for
>> the upcoming Pune Pilot of the India Campus Program.
>>
>> The response has been fantastic: we've received ~500
>> applications/enquiries from across India, ~70 of which were from Pune.  This
>> has been really heartening - indicating the desire of many to support the
>> Wikimedia movement. It's also been overwhelming because we need to process
>> all the applications, respond to applicants, etc.!
>>

>> I think, most critically, it also presents an amazing opportunity for us
>> to introduce new people to Wikimedia projects (especially Wikipedia) - and
>> invite them to join the community.    I've interviewed quite a few and there
>> is a recurring theme I hear from many of them.  It goes something like,
>> "I've been using Wikipedia for years and years, and I love it.  I want to
>> contribute back to it - but I wasn't sure how.  Then I saw the banner and
>> decided this was a great way to help."  The overwhelming common trait I have
>> noticed in the applicants is that they are bright, well-intentioned and
>> eager to contribute.
>>

> I personally would like to see the nomenclature change: from 'campus
> ambassadors' etc to 'Knowledge Facilitators', befitting by far two goals.
> One is the democratisation of knowledge, core to this initiative, and the
> other is the recognition of anyone of any age as a contributor (implicit in
> Hisham's characterisation of 'no-one left behind').

I just wanted to provide a little background that others might not be aware
of, Hisham is not responsible for that nomenclature, its part of the
Wikimedia Public policy initiative[1]. The Campus Ambassadors program has
been going on in the US, as part of the initiative since early last year
[2].

We can consider alternative designation within the Indian context once the
project is underway, however, I believe Wikipedia Campus Ambassador is an
aptly descriptive term that provides near universal recognition and
association with Wikipedia, other terms might be too abstract in this
context.

>> i) they could form student clubs in their respective educational
>> establishments
>>  ii) they could form Wikipedia clubs in their workplaces/social groups
>> (as a number of applicants are working professionals, and no longer on
>> campus)
>> iii) they could become individual editors
>>

> Each community, be it one based on educational establishments or any other,
> could organise informal camps, which we could call wikiups, implying a
> quickly put together 'camp', where a tiny group, 3 or 4 persons, could
> collaborate on original contributions or editing. If such meetings could be
> held on a weekly basis, then perhaps they could alternate between writing
> and editing, to give each skill a good workout. I am emphasising the
> importance of working in groups as a way forward from a concern expressed
> some months back in our meeting in Mumbai, that many youngsters need a
> helping hand to overcome the fear of failure - that translates into a
> reluctance to take part - that is unfortunately instilled in much of our
> school system.
>

> Frequent regular meetings would also help build an impetus to attend some
> of the additional work-focused suggestions, attending an 'Academy' session
> or running 'incubation' programs. It would also lessen the disadvantage of
> not being able to make it to some infrequently held local Wiki-meetups. It
> also lends itself to the ease of adding a visiting 'trainer' who can create
> lively sessions of tips and tricks.

I believe this is exactly what the student clubs facilitate.[3]

Regards

Salmaan
User:Theo10011

[1]http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Public_Policy_Initiative