No subject

Tue Mar 15 17:42:23 UTC 2011

THE OFFICIAL VERSION:

India, it would appear, suffers from a persecution complex. Several places
are considered restricted in India. These include bridges, railroad yards,
railway premises, sheds, workshops, stations and tunnels. These are supposed
to be of military importance.  Officials are very skittish about the whole
thing,  and many of them tend to go overboard in trying to enforce these
restrictions. Its against the law to take a photograph of a train at the
station, yet, you can walk a few metres away, just outside the station
limits, and shoot freely from there. Or from the overbridge just before the
station. Or from the lineside in open country. Which is why we railfans call
these 'idiot restrictions'. But thats another story.

Hence officially, if you are planning on doing some really serious and
extensive railroad photography in India, it is absolutely essential for you
to apply for and acquire a permit. You will need to write to:

The Joint Director of Public Relations, Railway Board,  Rail Bhavan,  New
Delhi-110001,  India.

As far as I know, most of the railway related restrictions are imposed by
Indian railways, not by Central Government. But I couldn't find an official
document related to this.

Now Railway police/authorities are trying to impose this official/unofficial
policy/law through various means.

Shiju

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
rsrikanth05 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I think since what we want to do is videotape a railway route, the
>> driver's bogey is more suited to this. I would want to film during day
>> time only under good visibility conditions, where possible.
>>
>> I think we could give the CC-BY-SA license to the Indian Railways.
>>
>> I do not think there'll be too many people to worry about unlike
>> Google Street View.
>>
>> Another interesting project could be trying to film rivers from source
>> to where it meets the sea.
>>
>> It'll also be a way to map a few things.
>>
>> Great points! Never thought this could be such an interesting
>> discussion. Flipcams are great too!
>>
>> Pradeep
>>
>> On 17/06/2011, Vickram Crishna <vvcrishna at radiophony.com> wrote:

>> video
>> >>

>> > Quite apart from the permission of the Railway authorities, please be
>> aware
>> > that we, all of us, have a responsibility not to inadvertently record
>> anyone
>> > without their express permission. This may not be expressed explicitly
>> in
>> > legal terms in India, hence may not cross the line being drawn by the
>> > Creative Commons partners, but is nevertheless an important distinction
>> > be recognised whilst undertaking anything as incredibly scaled up as
>> this.
>> > It could be done, in practical terms, by editing all the footage and
>> > blurring all faces, mostly automatically.
>> >
>> > For those who think perhaps this is a sort of googly, please do some
>> reading
>> > on Google Street View, and the judgments of the European Court, aside
>> from
>> > individual countries such as UK and Germany, just for perspective.
>> >
>> > I am totally in favour of this project being done, by the way. If enough
>> > people can be found across the country who have time and access to
>> Flips, I
>> > doubt it would be very difficult to carry out, provided the Railways is
>> > willing (and it is not illegal) to allow people in the Guard Bogies. I
>> have
>> > seen Flip night recordings, by the way, and do not think this is a major
>> > impediment either.
>> >
>> > With care (for individuals/faces), I think it might even be possible to
>> do
>> > on some city suburban rail lines. It may not require any permissions, if
>> it
>> > is done from passenger carriages. But doing it from the motorman's
>> viewpoint
>> > (definitely needs permission) could create some totally fascinating
>> footage.
>> >

>> > --
>> > Vickram
>> > Fool On The Hill <http://communicall.wordpress.com>

> --
> Regards,
> ME.
> Wear a Lungi, Support the Movement
>  My infrastructure invasion... plus other images

--00221572697e84326c04a5ea3a58

204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;" class=3D"gmail_quote">A station is publ=
ic property and hence nobody should be able to stop you from photographing =
it.<br>
 all Indian/State Government websites are in public domain since ours is a =
democractic nation. But in reality that is not true. Government is imposing=
 restrictions on various things through copyright law. Refer to the earlier=
 mails/clarifications sent by Gautham. </div>
g Indian Railway assets. <br><br><a href=3D"http://www.irfca.org/~shankie/i=
rphotography/irphotography.htm">http://www.irfca.org/~shankie/irphotography=
/irphotography.htm</a><br>
 40px;"><br>India, it would appear, suffers from a persecution complex. Sev=
eral places=C2=A0 are considered restricted in India. These include bridges=
, railroad yards, railway premises, sheds, workshops, stations and tunnels.=
 These are supposed to be of military importance.=C2=A0 Officials are very =
skittish about the whole thing,=C2=A0 and many of them tend to go overboard=
 in trying to enforce these restrictions. Its against the law to take a pho=
tograph of a train at the station, yet, you can walk a few metres away, jus=
t outside the station limits, and shoot freely from there. Or from the over=
bridge just before the station. Or from the lineside in open country. Which=
 is why we railfans call these &#39;idiot restrictions&#39;. But thats anot=
her story.<br>
extensive railroad photography in India, it is absolutely essential for you=
 to apply for and acquire a permit. You will need to write to:<br><br>The J=
oint Director of Public Relations, Railway Board,=C2=A0 Rail Bhavan,=C2=A0 =
New Delhi-110001,=C2=A0 India.<br>
posed by Indian railways, not by Central Government. But I couldn&#39;t fin=
d an official document related to this.<br><br>Now Railway police/authoriti=
es are trying to impose this official/unofficial policy/law through various=
 means. <br>
 17, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:rsrikanth05 at gmail.com">rsrikanth05 at gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrot=
e:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Shiju, what problem can railways have?<br>A=
 station is public property and hence nobody should be able to stop you fro=
m photographing it. It isn&#39;t covered under the Official Secrets Act, is=
 it? Besides, if there was a problem, then a HUGE bunch of photographs from=
 the Commons shouldn&#39;t exist. If it were illegal, how come so many film=
s are shot in stations and trains?<br>

If anybody wants, I can get a sample clip of a road, which can be applied t=
r=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com" target=3D"_blan=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">hi,<br>
I think since what we want to do is videotape a railway route, the<br>
driver&#39;s bogey is more suited to this. I would want to film during day<=
br>
time only under good visibility conditions, where possible.<br>
I think we could give the CC-BY-SA license to the Indian Railways.<br>
I do not think there&#39;ll be too many people to worry about unlike<br>
Google Street View.<br>
Another interesting project could be trying to film rivers from source<br>
to where it meets the sea.<br>
It&#39;ll also be a way to map a few things.<br>
Great points! Never thought this could be such an interesting<br>
discussion. Flipcams are great too!<br>
Pradeep<br>
On 17/06/2011, Vickram Crishna &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:vvcrishna at radiophony.c=
om" target=3D"_blank">vvcrishna at radiophony.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Pradeep Mohandas &lt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:pradeep.mohandas at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">pradee=
p.mohandas at gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; hi,<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; I understand. But the question is that of access to the driver/gua=
rd<br>
&gt;&gt; bogey.<br>
&gt;&gt; We can either be there or not be there at all. Another issue is th=
at we<br>
&gt;&gt; can<br>
&gt;&gt; use the video during daytime only.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; It&#39;s an interesting logistical exercise along with having a &q=
uot;free&quot; video<br>
&gt;&gt; tape of all of that length of railway line.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Quite apart from the permission of the Railway authorities, please be =
aware<br>
&gt; that we, all of us, have a responsibility not to inadvertently record =
anyone<br>
&gt; without their express permission. This may not be expressed explicitly=
 in<br>
&gt; legal terms in India, hence may not cross the line being drawn by the<=
br>
&gt; Creative Commons partners, but is nevertheless an important distinctio=
n to<br>
&gt; be recognised whilst undertaking anything as incredibly scaled up as t=
his.<br>
&gt; It could be done, in practical terms, by editing all the footage and<b=
r>
&gt; blurring all faces, mostly automatically.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; For those who think perhaps this is a sort of googly, please do some r=
eading<br>
&gt; on Google Street View, and the judgments of the European Court, aside =
from<br>
&gt; individual countries such as UK and Germany, just for perspective.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I am totally in favour of this project being done, by the way. If enou=
gh<br>
&gt; people can be found across the country who have time and access to Fli=
ps, I<br>
&gt; doubt it would be very difficult to carry out, provided the Railways i=
s<br>
&gt; willing (and it is not illegal) to allow people in the Guard Bogies. I=
 have<br>
&gt; seen Flip night recordings, by the way, and do not think this is a maj=
or<br>
&gt; impediment either.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; With care (for individuals/faces), I think it might even be possible t=
o do<br>
&gt; on some city suburban rail lines. It may not require any permissions, =
if it<br>
&gt; is done from passenger carriages. But doing it from the motorman&#39;s=
 viewpoint<br>
&gt; (definitely needs permission) could create some totally fascinating fo=
otage.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; --<br>
&gt; Vickram<br>
ss.com" target=3D"_blank">http://communicall.wordpress.com</a>&gt;<br>
a-l</a><br>
 the Movement<br>=C2=A0My infrastructure invasion... plus other images<br>t=
oo.. on Wikimedia Commons. <a href=3D"http://bit.ly/d50SIq" target=3D"_blan=
k">http://bit.ly/d50SIq</a><br>

Wikimediaindia-l mailing list<br>
sts.wikimedia.org</a><br>