[Wikimediaindia-l] Odia and Odisha

Subhashish Panigrahi psubhashish at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:40:53 UTC 2011

ISO code change is a matter of change, I feel our focus should be more into
give Wikipedia more maturity and stability rather than spending time for
mere name change, changes should be in work not just the name, it's a good
news infact for being an Odia and calling myself from Odisha, but
Oriya/Orissa are not some derogatory names, "Ori" has been taken from "Ora"
which is derived from "Sumeria", one of the ancient tribes of the
subcontinent which gives the originality and says about the nativity of the
words Oriya/Orissa rather than saying they are the product of colonial rule.
For a native Odia they both don't make much complication, but for people of
other states it makes the difference as because of the spelling they have
been mispronouncing the name of the state and language.

So, I feel the ISO Names are fine at this point of time, that could be a
secondary need.

ସୁଭ ପା/ Subhashish Panigrahi