[Wikimediaindia-l] [Press]: The Hindu : "India is No.6 in donating to Wikipedia"

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 07:32:15 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
> wrote:

> However, do you agree with me that being able to contribute to Wikipedia
> (financially or as an editor) is what it takes to give a sense of ownership?
> Thanks,
>       GerardM

I'm not sure that making a financial contribution necessarily gives a sense
of ownership.

Several people regularly contribute to charities, for instance. Indians, in
particular, contribute to religious charities (eg temple trusts, wakf etc)
both in small amounts during visits and in larger sums.

Does that necessarily mean they feel a sense of ownership vis a vis the
charity they contribute to? I'm not sure. I think people feel good about
giving, but not sure that is a proxy for ownership. Some may, others may
not; it may also vary with amount etc.

Best
Bishakha