[Wikimediaindia-l] more clarification on WFSOE

Nikhil Sheth nikhil.js at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:49:02 UTC 2011

Hi GN,

Thanks for elaborating. I'd wanted to convey that sense of potential.

One clarification that it seems is not getting through to our
concerned friends : There is no "ANY" material being distributed.
Neither are the full Indian language versions being shown or given to
anyone under 18 years of age. At least not on my end and if you do
find anyone doing that then please pass their contact and I'll explain
them why they should not. As I've explained earlier, Shiju made an
error (like, whoa!) in misreading an innocent email and assuming
completely wrong things, and so inadvertently caused anxiety among the
community when there was no ground reality in the concerns raised. I
hope it's fair to ask for sensibility, and honestly I'd apologize if I
was the one who made the error seeing the damage that loose words can
cause.

It is a proper package called "wikipedia for schools" created by a
reputed non-profit (SOS Childrens' Villages) that spent 2 years in
collaboration with wikimedia foundation making a collection of
articles that may be useful for school children. I have so far not
found any genuine reason to not trust these organizations, nor have
come across anything remotely qualifying as objectionable. If
anything, it is lacking due to obvious resource problems of the time.
It's a great effort and should be appreciated.

Anybody who wants to know what the Wikipedia for Schools collection
contains in present form, can kindly go to
http://schools-wikipedia.org/ . Please let us all know, with full
details, if you found anything wrong in it. I will pass that
information on to any teachers I've given the package to and hope
others do the same (has anybody else done anything yet? I didn't
inform this group just for kicks). Still, I do have a litte faith in
their own intelligence and discerning powers also, I would not be a
wikipedian if I didn't. For the things that are missing in it, Ashlin
has started work on and I urge you to show your enthusiasm and
positivity by joining that effort.

Anyways, for something that is essentially FREE, if there is something
really bad about it, a FREE thing can easily be THROWN away. That's a
no-brainer. But irrational fear of a threat that emerged from a gross
misunderstanding is something I for one cannot live with. I'd
appreciate it if this community does not commit the mistake of
negative speculation without proper data to back any serious statement
up. After all, if we are wikipedians we ought to have some standards
in our discussion group as well. My apologies if I was rude earlier,
but you have to admit - there was such a chasm between fact and
assumption, it's but natural to feel exasperated.

PS: It is not a CD. 2.8 gigabytes cannot fit on a 700megabyte CD. All
who are reading this, please stop calling it "CD" forthwith or you
might make people waste their money buying blank CDs and then they'll
blame you for it. It can come on DVD or USB devices or others of
larger sizes. Kindly refrain from using inaccurate terms, it indicates
that the writer in question really doesn't know what he/she is
expressing concerns about and takes away the credibility.

Cheers
Nikhil