[Wikimediaindia-l] Oral citations project update: more articles + full English subtitle track

Achal Prabhala aprabhala at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 21:38:05 UTC 2011

*apologies for cross-posting*

Dear friends,

A quick update on the oral citations project.

1) We have now posted sample articles in all 3 project languages,
Malayalam, Sepedi and Hindi:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Oral_Citations#Articles.2F_Discussions_.28in_development.29

2) A full English subtitle track for the film is now available on
Wikimedia Commons (the previous one only covered non-English speech):
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/TimedText:People-are-Knowledge.ogv.en.srt

---

There are a couple of things yet to come, some of which are
intrinsically linked to the suggestions and comments coming in from the
discussion on the previous thread. These are:

a) A few more articles in development, which will be posted when done

b) Transcripts of the audio interviews in Hindi, Sepedi and Malayalam,
each accompanied by an English transcript (in development)

c) An FAQ, where we can begin thinking collaboratively about ways in
which an exercise like this could work/be made to work under existing
policies within the Wikimedia movement, and Wikipedia specifically; as
well as ways in which this project could be extended to think about
sources and citations generally.

---

Lastly, if you haven't had a chance to see the work of the project, you
can do that here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Oral_Citations

...and if you would like to watch the film made during the course of the
project, please check it out:
on Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:People-are-Knowledge.ogv
or on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/26469276

Cheers,