[Wikimediaindia-l] Fwd: Please change it - Indian Maps on Wikipedia

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 08:59:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 14:10, CherianTinu Abraham <tinucherian at gmail.com>wrote:

> My only intention was to ask the community on how to handle such mails or
> request.
>
> -TC

Point such people to appropriate places like discussion pages , notice board
(oops, it cant handle more NOW,but yes ideally). IMO bringing content
disputes to mailing list, chapter is slightly Off Topic ish / doesnt serve
purpose, simply because they are not governing any content. Its totally
different thing if a Wikipedian asks for opinion / comes out of a media
post, even then list isnt the ideal place,it only calls for more trolling
since people arent obliged to stick to values which when broken can get a
block on wiki.[Refer "Socio Cultural relevance of Sanskrit Wikipedia blah
blah" some months back]. [[On a seperate note, we havent framed a block
policy for the list, but I presume day is not far when we may be in need of
it]]

The audience of the list is so spread over that it might be spammy even to
discuss a largely relevant issue like this, since its still just another
English Wikipedia POV dispute and thats it where as list is for "Discussion
of Wikimedia Projects in India".

My 2 paisa.

Srikanth.L