[Wikimediaindia-l] Developers list for India specific discussions

Anivar Aravind anivar.aravind at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 03:50:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Hari Prasad Nadig <hpnadig at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> During the weeks running up to Wikipedia 10 event, there was a talk on
> requesting a developers list for India specific discussions.
>
> The need for an India specific developers list is quite obvious considering
> that we have several Indian language projects on Wikimedia, each needing
> specific attention in terms of technology to improve contributions and
> community.
>
> Considering that there is growing interest in India about Wikimedia, about
> mediawiki - platform that runs Wikipedia and related projects; taking into
> account that there is a growing community of developers interested to
> contribute, develop on India specific projects, an India specific list of
> developers seems to be a necessity.

Steps need to be implemented is much bigger than a list. Newly formed
Wikimedia India foundation need to Focus on this angle.
Technology Development for Complex Script Languages such as Indic  is
still a neglected field in wikipedia. We have seen many posts about
this in this list. What wikimedia India foundation need to do is to
organise Developer meetups, Pushing Indic Specific development
projects in Programmes like Google Summer of Code of media wiki,
Increase the participation of students in wiki specific  software
projects, Support innovative ideas with financial support etc.

New Foundation need to focus on building a strategy towards this. It
will be good to start a list with a discussion on these grounds may be
in Wikimedia.in domain, if it is not approved in lists.wikimedia.org

Anivar Aravind